Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving, Christmas Frenzy, and The Holy War of College Football



So we caved in to the peer pressure and let our kids decorate the Christmas tree before Thanksgiving this year. We figured because we were going to Utah for the Holiday it didn't matter. I am regretting this decision because Beckham's new toy is the Christmas tree. He keeps yelling "ball", "ball", "ball" to the red bulbs on the tree and has attempted to hit one of them with a baseball bat. Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon.

We left for Utah on Wednesday and had a fun time visiting with family and friends. On Friday morning my sister-in-law Jamie insisted that I get up at 4:00AM to go Christmas shopping. I reluctantly went and it ended up being fun and comical. We laughed really hard and froze our buts off waiting in line. We hit Shopko, Kmart, Shopko again, RC Willey outlet, The Mall, and Bed Bath and Beyond all before 10:00AM. It is amazing what can be done when you get up at 4:00AM. I was really excited because at RC Willey I was able to get a nice dryer for a stealer deal. My sister-in-law Heather moved her way to the front of the line and then ran (I learned that running is a must in order to get the door buster bargains) to the dryers (thank you Heather, I really need that dryer). Anyway, it was a fun time.

On Saturday Jason took Mckay to the Utah vs BYU football game in Provo. They went with Nic and Andrew. Mckay, ever since BYU football camp, has turned into a wild BYU fan and was cheering loud for the Cougars. This is funny because, most of you know that I prefer the Utes over the Cougars (I know I am BYU alumni, but I have cheered many years for the Utes). Jason is somewhat neutral and prefers Ohio State. Jason wanted BYU to win for Mckay and childhood memories of hating the Utes make it hard to cheer for them. But, he also wanted Utah to win for Nic and to upset all of those annoying BYU fans. Mckay got his wishes and the Cougars pulled out a victory. Mckay came home so excited that I couldn't be disappointed that the Utes lost.

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Hey McKay...I guess your "red sweatshirt" proved to be a good luck charm for the cougars! GO BYU!!!! It was fun to see you guys last weekend, and congrats again on your dryer find!

Tiffany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

What a fun weekend. I am so glad you got to go home and enjoy the holiday. Black Friday can be so crazy, but if your with family it is totally worth it. Congrats on the dryer. Love it when people get great deals.

Of course your a Ute fan. Not many people get to travel to Hawaii to cheer their brother-in-law on. Love it. It was a great game and glad Mckay went home happy.

kelly l said...

i'm glad to see that you are finally realizing that cheering for the utes isn't worth expending all that energy. it was fun to see you guys, and i'm delaying putting up a christmas tree for the exact reason of not wanting to spend all my time keeping drew off of it.

Anika said...

I'm with you Kellie, a Ute fan overtaken by BYU fans... I can't help but NOT be mad when they win cause everyone else is so excited about it. Haha! Anyway... I still haven't gotten your address- if you tried to send it to my hotmail one, that one sometimes has problems. You can send it to anika.dart@yahoo.com. Thanks! :)

Hansen Family said...

Kellie, I am just as bad as you. We put up our tree and decorations and lights on the house before we even left for Thanksgiving. I had a staff party for Mike to throw and another party soon after at our house and did not want stress about getting it all ready as soon as we got home from our trip. Mike was the bah humbug about the whole thing and was totally embarrassed putting the lights on the house before Thanksgiving. What a grump!

Anika said...

I tried replying to your email, from both accounts, and both of them got sentback with an error message. I seriously don't know what I do wrong! haha! I hope you got our address, if you didn't let me know- I'll give you my work email! Thanks!

The Neeleys said...

I just love Black Friday - it is such a FUN girls day out! And, Congrats on your good deal. I must say that the cougars are a bunch of lucky suckers!...go Utes!

Karleigh Tomlinson said...

Fun stuff! I love the day after Thanksgiving shopping..it's the best! And we were cheering for BYU like wild people, clear out here in Oregon...I think our neighbors think were NUTS!!! Are you guys going to be in Utah over Christmas?