Monday, July 9, 2007

4th of July in Richfield, UT


For the fourth of July we went to Richfield, UT. As a child my summers were full of trips to see Grandma Beth and working on the farm in Richfield. So many of my fourth of July memories revolve around going to Richfield and participating in the town celebration there. It was fun to share these memories with my children and cultivate new memories. My grandma Beth no longer lives in Richfield due to health reasons so, it just didn't seem the same not having her around. But, we reminisced over good times with Grandma Beth and laughed at her funny yet stubborn personality.

The fourth of July day started out with the local 5K race. Jason and I didn't want to run but with pressure from my dad we caved in. It actually turned out OK. I ended up winning the all around girls division and a forty dollar prize and Jason ran a pretty good time, so in the end we were happy. However, I would've liked to beat Jason. Next time I will get him. We then went to the parade and the kids loved getting a lot of candy and running down the streets, chasing the floats. The kids then played in the park and did the whole carnival thing.

We ended the afternoon with a BBQ at my Grandma Beth's and let the kids play in the yard. Watching the kids play I remembered the memories of playing with my cousins in that yard. I remember the countless baseball games, running through the sprinklers, sleep outs, sipping on Punch bags from the local dairy, and all the imaginary play. Those were great memories.

We ended the night with a visit to the farm so the kids could drive the truck and see the cows. Beckham liked the cows. We then went to my Dad's friend HR's house to watch the local firework show. Beckham didn't really care about the fireworks he just wanted to eat popcorn and climb the stairs. Mckay loved the Sparklers and Mckinley loved all the excitement.

It was such a good time and I had fun remembering days of my childhood.

5 comments:

Lindsay said...

I love all the pics of your kids with the fireworks. Little Beckham's hair is getting so long! Looks like yo guys had a wonderful 4th. Are you going to be in Utah for the 24th? That is one holiday I am going to miss not celebrating.

Cheryl said...

It is so fun to get together as a family and re-live great traditions. You can see yourself in your kids and it makes you appreciate your parents and grandparents and being a parent at the same time.

The 4th looked like so much fun. You had lots of things to do. Your kids are beautiful and congrats on winning the run. It's always fun to win, and I'm sure you'll get Jason sometime soon.

Tiffany said...

O.K. the BYU paws on McKay's face...I'd say that little football camp was successful. Zak will be thrilled to know that McKay's on our side!!!! Now, we just need to teach him the cougar fight song, and he'll be right ready for the season! If you guys are ever in town during a game, I bet Zak and Jason could take the boys with his parents tickets. My boys LOVE the games! Anyway, thanks for the camp pictures, they are so fun! Talk to you soon!

teresa said...

kellie, it's fun to see your blog. it is way advanced. you'll have to give me some tips. i would love to see you and your kids. my cell# is 319-621-4381.

kelly l said...

Kellie,
Your pictures are cute. And I agree with Tif that I loved McKay's cougar paws on his face. By the way I keep meaning to tell you how cute your hair is. If we ever see each other this summer (hopefully), you'll have to share your hair tricks. We need to see each other's babies before they aren't babies anymore.
Kelly