Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Running Rut and Memories of St. George Marathon

So most of you know that I am rather obsessed with running. This time of year I am usually so sick of training for the St. George marathon that the thought of running makes me tired. This year Jason and I aren't running the St. George marathon, due to the fact that we live across the country and are in "student life" mode. As of late, both Jason and I have really been missing the thrill of training for the St. George marathon. There is something about peaking at the right time, getting faster every week, and logging many miles for the week that empower and excite me. Talking to my sister about her training and observing a few running blogs about training is making me a little homesick for the St. George marathon and running in the West. Last year our St. George experience was so great with Jason qualifying for Boston and both of us getting Personal bests. The St. George experience isn't all about running, over the years we have developed a lot of memories at the Coral Hills with friends and family. I find it sad that we wont see the familiar faces that run and spectate the marathon every year.

Anyway on to my dilemma, I must say that I am in a running slump. I have resorted to training on the treadmill at the YMCA and it is really getting old. So I am writing this post to inspire me to get out of my running rut. Starting today I am going to start training for a few races. Due to babysitting issues, I am sticking with the half marathons for right now. Jason and I are just not able to get in many long runs together and I struggle running 20 plus miles by myself. So today I am signing up for the Indianapolis half in October, The Mini Marathon here in Indianapolis for the spring, and the Nashville half in April. I am going to maybe try a spring marathon in Cincinnati as well, we will see. Jason has signed up to run a trail marathon in Bloomington, Indiana December 1st. We will see what they call trails out here in the Midwest??? Next year I am definitely coming back to run my favorite St. George Marathon. Good Luck to you all that are running. I will definitely be thinking of you!



I am putting some pictures of the USA Olympic Trial in April on to inspire me to work a little harder and get a little faster every day. After watching the women run so fast and with such ease, I truly came home inspired to get faster and to run harder. Now, I just need to keep that vision for the furture.

9 comments:

Lee said...

Kellie, you are just amazing with your mad running skills. I know I am no where near as fast as you. Hopefully though I can do at least one of those 1/2 next Spring with you.. or trailing behind in the dust.. but I am going to train!
And good luck finding a good place to run.. and if you want to do a real long one.. bring your kiddos on over.

Unknown said...

Where do you find out about all of the full and 1/2 marathons? Phil & I want to train to run some but don't know where to find them. Good luck with your running! I know you'll find something!

Herd of Sheps said...

Kellie I have only ran this race once and I would be really sad if I could not run this year. I can't imagine how you and Jason feel right now. How ever I am sick of always feeling like I HAVE to run, even when I don't feel like it. Kellie and I have started to taper this week and it feels awesome. I hope you two can make it next year!! I think that you know who will be running it next year! I wish that she was running this year, but no such luck.

Sarah Lunt said...

You are such an inspiration!!! Sorry to hear that you have to miss the race this year - I'm not a runner but I did run the Indianapolis 1/2 a few years ago and loved it. Good luck with getting back into training! Are you coming out w/ Jason next week? Looking forward to seeing you guys!

Herd of Sheps said...

That was weird, i was just thinking about you so I checked your blog for the first time in a week or so and low and behold you are talking about the marathon and Tyler has already commented on your blog, weird. It is crazy how addictive this little running hobby can become and I understand how you feel because when Tyler ran the Boston marathon and I was there involved in it but not actually running it, I thought it would kill me. But, I also understand what it is like to be a mom and wife and sometimes, our lives just do not allow us to do exactly what we want to do. I have to tell myself that there is a time and season to do all things and if I can run here and there great, but I would like to think that my fast marathon days are hopefully ahead of me. You are an incredible runner and sound like you are still doing anything you can to maintain that. I am very proud of you. Get back here (Utah)next year and we will go out on some runs together. Maybe by that time I will be lots faster so that I can attempt to keep up with you. Hey, I can dream right? Keep in touch Kel and keep your chin up!!!

Crockett Family said...

Kellie
Yea we are sad that you and Jason aren't running it either. We really liked meeting you guys there to see you and your family. Since that is about the only time we see you guys, okay maybe at Christmas time. So we are not going this year, but it looks like we will get to go back next year to see you guys. I hope all is well with you and your family. So let us know about Christmas, if you guys are coming. Good luck with the training for the up coming runs. You are definitely a fire ball when it comes to running. Have a good one.
Kristie

Chapman Family said...

It won't be the same this year without you. I guess I shouldn't complain. I was actually thinking about not doing it next year. If you come I will go!
Michelle

Karleigh Tomlinson said...

I wish I could just run one marathon in my lifetime!!! You have ran soooo many! But my friend and I are training for one in May...we will see though...our problem is just finding the time to run long distances. Anyways you and Jason should come to Oregon and run Hood to Coast. Look it up on the internet. It looks like you guys are all settled into your new
"student life"!

Amy said...

That is so awesome! Those pictures of St. George are so beautiful. I'm so impressed with your running skills. Those 1/2 marathons will be a lot of fun for you, and hopefully get you through until next year's St. George marathon. Good luck!