Friday, November 21, 2008

Weekend in Louisville

This week has been a little crazy and I forgot to post about our trip to Louisville, KY last weekend. A resident, Steve, in Jason's program lives in Louisville and commutes to Indianapolis weekly for class. He and his wife Angela have a beautiful home in Louisville and invited us to come and spend the weekend at their house. It was so fun and a much needed break. When we lived in Ohio we always wanted to drive down to Kentucky and never made it. Jason and I were so excited to take the kids to the Louisville Slugger Museum and Churchill Downs. I grew up going to horse races and my dad loves horse racing so I have always had a desire to see Churchill Downs and see where the Kentucky Derby is held. It was a rainy and cold weekend but, we had a great time with friends and seeing the sites of Louisville. Driving into Louisville and crossing the Ohio River.

Mckay looking at Derek Jeter's bat.
Our kids loved the bat tour and seeing how all the pro baseball bats are made. The kids got miniature Louisville Slugger bats from the tour and Mckay got a big bat with his name on it.
Churchill Downs
The kids are standing in front of the horses getting ready to race. It was a little cold so we mainly watched them get the horses ready from inside.
The track was having "Mud Days". It was definitely muddy. The kids loved seeing the horses when they were finished. The jockey and the horses were covered in mud. Mckinley would cheer for horse number eight every time because the first race we saw number eight won. I guess she figured that would happen every race not realizing that the horses change each race.

We ended the day at Outback. Our kids were being so good and Beckham wanted to take pictures. If Beckham wants to take pictures I have to take them because this is a rare moment.

3 comments:

kelly l said...

what a fun weekend. you look like michelle in that picture of you and the kids. i'm sure mckay loved the baseball museum.

Lee said...

Oh how fun! I totally want to go there.

Cheryl said...

It kills me that you were so close and I didn't get to see you, esp. when I could have been a great tour guide! I love Louisville and hope you enjoyed it despite the rotten weather. I bet you all loved the Slugger tour. That is a must see. I get chills everytime (I have lost count) when James Earl Jones talks on the opening movie about the Crack of the Bat. Good stuff.

And of course I love Churchill Downs. It really is much more enjoyable when you aren't in a downpour.

Hope we get to see you sometime soon!